1. Signs of Spring:
|Sean Spicer? Is that you?|
|Flowers ready for planting.|
2. Hoarding: Buried in Bank Statements. May started out with Spring cleaning. I decided to tackle the drawer that I’ve been cramming “important” stuff into for . . . a decade. I found so many bank statements! I switched to online banking years ago. Where did all these things come from? Why are there so many of them? Do I really need to remember that time in 2008 when I had $16 in my account? I don’t think so.
3. Depressingly Relevant Discoveries. While cleaning, I also found this flyer that my best friend made for the 2004 US presidential election. Please note that my friend and I were not old enough to vote in the 2004 election, so if anyone ever tells you that teens don’t care about politics, that person is a dirty liar. We campaigned hard for Mustard. Unfortunately, he (she?) was narrowly defeated by every single other candidate in the race.
4. Couch to Running Girl. At the beginning of May, I finally succeeded in running 5k without stopping or walking. Then I switched from running on a treadmill to running outside. Who knew that running outside was so difficult? Who put all those hills, and wind gusts, and children out there? My first 5k outside run kicked my ass, especially because for part of it, a dozen kids ran ahead of me, screaming. I felt like the slowest cow at The Running of the Bulls. Motivation, I guess. Run faster! Gore those happy children!
|I'm the brown one with the horns.|
5. Fun with Rabies. I came into possession of a wrinkly apple, so I cut it up, stuck it on the fence, and photographed what came to claim it.
Books I Read
I was so distracted by squirrels in May that I forgot to read. I only finished six books.
The Library at Mount Char – Scott Hawkins
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – J.K. Rowling (reread)
There Once Lived a Mother Who Loved Her Children, Until They Moved Back In: Three Novellas about Family – Ludmilla Petrushevskaya
The Lottery and Other Stories – Shirley Jackson
The Ghosts of Heaven – Marcus Sedgwick
Black Dove, White Raven – Elizabeth Wein
I also made progress on my reading challenges. Click here to see how I’m doing.
Best Books Of May
1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – J.K. Rowling (reread)
2. The Ghosts of Heaven – Marcus Sedgwick
3. The Lottery and Other Stories – Shirley Jackson
Most-Viewed May Reviews
Most-Viewed May Non-Reviews
All The Things!
All The Things (AKA number of unread books on my TBR shelf) = 30 books.
I’m currently reading Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
What did you do in May?